Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Inside my Container Living Unit (CLU)

This is inside my CLU. It's small, but comfortable and close to the main part of base. It's simple, with a twin bed, desk, two lockers, and a sink. It's also hard wired for internet service and cable TV. The air conditioner actually keeps the room cold. I share a bathroom with another officer. On my bed, is my "Dang-It Doll" that the American Legion volunteers gave us at the airport. When your day is stressful and you want to scream and shout, this is a little "Dang-It Doll" that you can't live without. You grasp it firmly by the legs and find a place to bang it! As you whack it's stuffing out, yell "Dang-It, Dang-It, Dang-It".

The food in the Bob Hope Galley so far has been excellent. Last night I had grilled Halibut as the main entree and tonight I had T-Bone steak grilled outside on large charcoal grills. And it wasn't a small piece either. It looked and tasted every bit as good as Ruth Chris Steak House.

The weather these past few days has not been too hot and there has been a nice breeze most of the day. I'm told that in the summer, it's a drier heat and the air blows the smell from the trash burning in Djibouti City out to sea. After the rains come in November, the wind switches direction and blows the smell over the Camp. The air also becomes more humid. August is the hottest month - and Djibouti is the hottest place on earth with recorded temperatures reaching up to 147 degrees. Right now, it felt hotter when we were in South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment