Monday, January 11, 2010

Whale Shark Trip

 
Leaving at 6:30 in the morning, we ventured out in the Gulf of Tadjourah to see the whale sharks which come near the Djibouti coast each year between November and January to feed.  The whale shark is the largest fish in the world, measuring up to 40 feet.  It feeds on plantonic creatures and small fishes and has only tiny teeth. Like all sharks, it is cartilaginous rather than bony.  It is easily identified by its huge size, many spots, and flattish front end.  Today was a good day for us as there appeared to be over 30 whale sharks feeding in one location.  To be honest, it took my breath when I first found myself facing the whale shark face to face as it swam towards me, turning at the last moment, brushing its massive body against mine. It's an absolute spectacular site.  After a hot lunch prepared on our boat, I swam out to the coral reefs for my first day of snorkeling. The coral was beatiful, with some close enough to the surface to touch with others dropping 35 to 40 feet. The water was crystal clear and warm by the reefs with the most beautiful fish I had ever seen. This is definitely one of the beautiful wonders that makes Djibouti such an interesting place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment